Lovely Vintage China Cabinet


Today I'm sharing with you a lovely vintage china cabinet (circa 1920's). I took some quick photos before moving it to my booth.

Before

The "before" looks lovely. But the photo is deceptive. It was dirty and the finish was in poor condition. A large portion of the veneer on the panels disintegrated after I started cleaning it. So I sanded and prepped it for painting.
The "before" photo is deceptive.
It was in worse condition than the photo depicts. 


After

I painted both the interior and exterior in a neutral color scheme of Old White chalk paint.
Painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White.
Sealed with a soft clear wax.
I sanded the paint smooth for a worn finish and then further applied medium distressing along the edges. The entire piece was hand waxed with soft clear wax.

Sanded to a worn finish with medium distressing to the edges.
The front legs are very elegant.
It has a charming handle on the door. It didn't come with a key, but I had one in my stash that fit.

Super cute door handle!
Skeleton key from my stash.
I secured the key to the handle with a ribbon
with the hopes that it won't go missing from my booth.
The interior has 3 removable shelves.

Three interior shelves.

Comments

  1. Hi Arlene, I usually look for a maker's mark or manufacturer's label to help identify the timeframe it was built. If that's not available then I look at the style and the materials used to construct the piece. If you're trying to determine a value you could get it appraised by a local antiques dealer. I am not an expert, but if you send me photos I could try to give you a general idea. TheBlackSheepShoppe@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts