Child's Chifferobe Featuring Peter Rabbit

Vintage child's chifferobe with Peter Rabbit theme.

Today's project is a vintage child's chifferobe. I found it at the Lebanon Peddler's Mall one aisle over from my booth. It was a little worse for wear, but I knew just what I wanted to do with it, so I decided to go ahead and make the purchase.

PREP WORK

The chifferobe has 4 drawers for storage and the other side has a wardrobe area for hanging clothes. The clothing rod was missing, so I purchased a dowel that I will add before taking it to the booth. There was some buckling of veneer on the sides and on the interior bottom of the wardrobe. I decided to leave that alone and work with it. I like a bit of character that you can only get from vintage furniture.

Before: Child's chifferobe
Before: Child's chifferobe

But one of the back legs was damaged which did require some immediate repair work. The end was broken off and there appeared to be some rot. It was dry as a bone, but I used a screw driver to dig out any loose pieces. Next I filled in the area with wood filler, let it dry, and then repeated the process a few times until it was built up a little higher than the other legs. Then I sanded back the wood filler to level the leg with the others.

Damaged leg was repaired with multiple layers of wood filler.
Damaged leg was repaired with multiple layers of wood filler.

The drawers were in good shape, but whoever applied the stain previously was a bit messy. On one of the drawers there was a creepy hand print. I couldn't clean or sand that off, so I planned to paint the drawer interiors.

Creepy hand print on drawer interior.
The creepy hand print had to go.

The chifferobe had a stained finish but it didn't appear to be sealed, so I knew there would be bleed through. So I applied two coats of shellac to both the exterior and interior. The shellac is easily applied with a sponge brush and dries super-quick.

Apply shellac to prevent bleed through.
Apply shellac to prevent bleed through.


THE FUN PART:

With all the prep work out of the way it was time to get ready for the fun part of the project! I wanted a vintage color scheme that would be gender-neutral, so I spent some time custom mixing paint onto my work board. It's easier to test it out ahead of time instead of slapping it straight onto the project itself.

Test colors before applying to furniture.
Test colors before applying to furniture.

I finally found the right mix: Equal parts of Antibes and Antoinette with a splash of Old White.

Equal parts Antibes and Antoinette with a splash of Old White.
Equal parts Antibes and Antoinette with a splash of Old White.

The result was a charming retro-vintage green. I applied two coats of paint to the exterior.

Vintage green: Antibes, Antoinette and Old White.
Vintage green: Antibes, Antoinette and Old White.

I had mixed enough paint to apply two coats of the green to the exterior. I had a tiny bit of paint left and used that on the bottom section of the interior of the wardrobe to create an area of grass.

Green applied for a grassy area.
Green applied for a grassy area.

I used Louis Blue next to create a sky. The interior was a tight space to work in with lots of corners, so I used an angled brush to speed up the process. I layered some Old White over the blue to soften the color and give it a feeling of clouds.

Use an angled paint brush to quickly paint the corners of the interior.
Use an angled paint brush to quickly paint the corners of the interior.

I used Annie Sloan soft clear wax on the exterior because you can't beat the quality finish. But the interior was tight to work in, so I used Americana Decor Creme Wax on the inside.

Americana Decor Cream Wax has a liquid consistency similar to white glue.
Americana Decor Cream Wax has a liquid consistency similar to white glue.

The Creme Wax is a liquid and is very quick and easy to brush on and dries quickly. It doesn't give the same finish as Annie Sloan's brand, but I think it worked well in this section.

Brushing on a liquid wax.
Brushing on a liquid wax.

I ordered a set of Peter Rabbit wall decals from Amazon. The set included two sheets of high quality decals. Once applied the decals adhere quite well, but at the same time they are easy enough to remove and re-position as needed making it very easy to work with. (Before applying the decals I sealed all the painted areas with wax.)

It's easy to get a customized nursery on a budget!
It's easy to get a customized nursery on a budget!


AFTER

I painted the top, wardrobe front and handles in Old White for contrast. I applied a white glaze over the green to soften the color just a bit.

After: Vintage chifferobe with Peter Rabbit theme.
After: Vintage chifferobe with Peter Rabbit theme.

The wardrobe interior has the green grass, blue sky, and Peter Rabbit in the garden! I love this part and can just imagine a child's delight when opening the door. Heck, I'm a grown up and I keep opening the door to look at it. Yes I am easily entertained.

Open the door and find Peter Rabbit in the garden!
Open the door and find Peter Rabbit in the garden!

The exterior of the door features Peter Rabbit with his mother and sisters.

Peter Rabbit with his mother and sisters.
Peter Rabbit with his mother and sisters.

Each of the drawer interiors were painted in Cream and feature more surprises inside.

Each drawer features more surprises inside!
Each drawer features more surprises inside!

Run, Peter, run!
Peter Rabbit and Mr. McGregor. Run, Peter, run!
Peter Rabbit and Mr. McGregor. Run, Peter, run!

I hope you enjoyed this project, and I appreciate you stopping by the blog today! I'll include a supply list below in case you're inspired to create a similar project. If you'd like to leave a comment you'll need a free Google+ account, or you can visit me on my Facebook page.

Child's chifferobe before and after.


Supply List:


Comments

Popular Posts