Vintage Chicago Side Table


The harp design on this side table drew me in as it gives a beautiful touch of style to the table. But it didn't look so good when I picked it up; in fact it was still in the process of being restored.

Before

The table was manufactured by John H. Smyth & Co., Chicago. It was previously painted in blue with a heavy application of antiquing glaze. The previous owner had started restoration on the piece by stripping the top. There was damaged veneer underneath and it looks like the project was given up at that point.


Stripping paint is not for the faint of heart. I used a heat gun to remove most of the remaining paint from the top and sanded the rest. I did not remove the paint from the base since I was planning to paint it with Chalk Paint.


After

I chose a two-toned color scheme of Coco and Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).




I added light-to-medium distressing to the edges.






Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts