Modern Sofa Table Transformed with Chalk Paint


Sofa table painted with chalk paint

Today's project is a sofa table. It was in good condition except for some surface scratches.


Before modern sofa table
Before: Sofa Table

Unfortunately the top had some gouges and scratches.

Scratched finish on table
The finish was scratched.

If it was solid wood it might have been a candidate for refinishing, but such was not the case.

Damaged finish table surface
Long scratch across the top of the table.

I used my orbital sander to smooth out the scratches and gouges. Since the finish was smooth and shiny, I lightly sanded the remainder of the piece with 220-grit sandpaper to give a little roughness for the paint to cling to. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and painted the base with two coats of Old Ochre.

Painting sofa table
Painting in progress!

The top was painted in two coats of Coco which compliments the Old Ochre beautifully. I sealed the table with soft clear wax. I applied a second coat of wax the following day to the top for extra durability.

Table top painted in Coco chalk paint
Top painted in Coco.
I applied light distressing around the edges of the drawers.
Light distressing
Light distressing around the drawers.

I didn't distress the diamond shapes as I wanted them to be subtle accents and not take center stage.

Distressing adds emphasis
Diamond shapes are subtle accents.

Before After sofa table

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts